My YKI prep course is finished so, for the 2 weeks to go until the test, I will be preparing and practicing by myself. I have already been doing this a bit using the websites WordDive and Memrise to train vocabulary (there will be a blog post about this) and trying to read news articles in Finnish. But I thought it would be helpful to list here exactly what I’m doing and for how long.
So far: Skype lesson with Hanna (I’ll blog about this too!) focusing on the puhuminen and kirjoittaminen parts of the test with another lesson booked for the Wednesday before the test. Almost 2 hrs spent training vocab on WordDive, 32 words learnt with Memrise and created my own Memrise course to train useful verbs.
Aside from the things listed below I have been: listening to Finnish music and Radio; reading short newspaper items and junk mail catalogues and ads, speaking with M in Finnish as much as possible, using Finnish in shops, bars, when visiting kids clubs etc. These things I was doing anyway before I took the YKI course.
- organised all my pieces of paper from the prep courses,
- collated my scores from the puheen ymmärtäminen and tekstin ymmärtäminen mock tests done during prep course to check if I am likely to pass these parts of the test!
- completed tekstin ymmärtäminen and kirjoittaminen homework and blogged about the writing homework.
- 10 mins on Memrise training verbs
- 10 minutes training vocab on WordDive
- 2 short reading comprehension exercises with true/false answers from YLE page.
- About 10 mins writing sentences in Finnish on this Quizlet
- 4 short reading comprehension exercises with true/false or multiple choice answers from YLE page. Scores: 4/5, 4/5, 2/4, 3/4.
- 10 mins training verbs on Memrise.
- about 10 mins training vocab on WordDive.
- reading comprehension exercise with (easy) multiple choice questions from Suomikoulu. Score: 10/10.
- 2 Listening exercises one with multiple choice questions, one with true/false from Suomikoulu. Scores: 10/10, 11/12.
- en treenaa
- en treenaa
- 20 mins training verbs on Memrise
- 3 reading comprehension exercises on Suomikoulu. Scores: 88%, 85%, 90%
- 1 reading comprehension exercise on YLE. Score: 3/4
- n. 15 mins writing Finnish sentences on Quizlet.
- writing, reading comp test on Quizlet. Score: 85%
Pe 27.3-Ti 31.3
- Lomalla englannissa. En treenaa.
- 2 short reading comprehension exercises (adverts) on YLE. Scores: 2/3, 2/2.
- 1 longer reading comp exercise (interview) on YLE. Score: 5/7.
- 10 mins training 36 dif verbs on Memrise.
- about 20 mins writing sentences in Finnish on Quizlet. Scores: 52%, 60%,
To 2.4, Pe 3.4
- En treena
- 5 mins training verbs on Memrise.
- 1 reading comp exercise on Suomikoulu. Score 9/9.
- about 15 mins writing on Quizlet.
- 2 listening exercises with true/false questions on Suomikoulu. Scores: 81%, 90%
- 2 reading comprehension exercises with true/false questions on Suomikoulu. Scores: 57%, 81%
- 2x tekstin ymmärtäminen practice papers (provided by Ope). Scores: 69% , 63%
- grammar revision: objekti, blog post about this.
- fill in the blanks to complete the sentences, grammar exercises ‘partitiivi vai akkusatiivi objekti?’ (provided by Ope). Scores: 7/11 or 63%, 10/16 or 62.5%, 9/14 or 64%
- about 5 mins revising verbs on Memrise
- about 5 mins on adjectives Memrise course (too easy)
- 2 reading comp exercises with true/false questions from Suomikoulu. Scores: 100%, 66%.
- Memrise verbs
- 3 Suomikoulu vocabulary (sanasto) tests on synonyms, definitions. Scores: 85%, 84%, 72%
- Suomikoulu grammar exercise. Score: 75%
- 2 x reading comprehension exercises from YLE. Scores: 3/3, 6/6.
- 45 min Skype lesson with Hanna. We did puhuminen practice: 30s, 2min monologues and phone conversations.
- 3x reading comps from YLE. Scores 2/3, 3/5, 2/4
Pe 10.4 (day before the exam)
- Read Random Finnish Lesson’s Last Minute YKI Tips and linked pages .
- 3 x reading comps from YKI practice website. Scores: 3/4, 3/5, 2/3
- 3 x listening exercises from Suomikoulu. Scores: 88%, 92%, 68%
- fill in the blanks to complete the sentences, grammar exercises ‘partitiivi vai akkusatiivi objekti?’ (provided by Ope). Scores: 11/20, 34/43, 6/9
- 1x listening exercise from YKI practice website. Score: 4/5
- Memrise verbs.